French as a Second Language - Part 1 AQ
Course code: EDAQ 6500C
French as a Second Language (FSL) Part 1 is designed to provide certification to teachers in a manner that provides relevant, professional development to equip teachers for the challenging roles they play in the current FSL classroom. This course will be of interest to teachers who wish to acquire knowledge and skills in FSL education: Core, Extended and Immersion, grades one through 12.
Pre-test date: To be determined
- You must apply and pay the course tuition through our online application for FSL Part 1 prior to writing the pre-test. The test fee is not included in your application.
- Test fee: $50 debit/credit only. Payment is made on site at the time of the test.
Tests are scheduled in correspondence with a specific session. For example, if you are taking the Spring AQ FSL Part 1 course, you must take the Spring pre-test. The FSL pre-test is held at UOIT’s Faculty of Education Building, 11 Simcoe Street North (downtown Oshawa at King and Simcoe Streets). On the day of the test, it is important to arrive at the specified time.
- All FSL applicants are required to complete a French language proficiency test (written and oral) prior to admission into the FSL AQ course unless they are requesting exemption.
Criteria for exemption:
- An original transcript showing two full undergraduate credits in French.
- If you have attended a francophone university, such as Montreal, Laval, Sudbury, Laurentian or Ottawa, where the language of instruction was French for all university courses completed, you may apply for an exemption from writing the test.
- Copy of OCT Certificate of Qualification.
- If requesting exemption, all necessary supporting documentation must be submitted to the AQ Office prior to the pre-test date.
- If you are not requesting exemption, we do not require a transcript.
- Admission offers from other institutions are not considered for exemptions.
- If you have successfully completed a pre-admission test in French at UOIT within the last three years, you are not required to retake the test.
- Proficiency testing results from other institutions are not considered for exemptions.
- You are not exempt unless you have been explicitly informed by UOIT.
About the test:
The pre-admission test has been designed to evaluate your ability to understand, speak, read and write in French. It includes three parts:
- Comprehension: Listening to a tape, reading text and answering questions.
- Written: Cloze test (filling in the blanks with the right word, composing short memos, faxes, notes, reports, letter to a parent).
- Oral: Interview with a teacher; may include two other students or one-on-one dialogue (approximately 15 minutes long).
No sample test is provided. The length of time and format of oral testing are subject to change at the discretion of the instructor.
Successful completion of this test is valid for three years.
- Dictionaries are not permitted.
- The test is two hours in length.
- To pass the test, you need to achieve at least a B on each part.