A recent research report from Let's Talk Science indicates parents are not discussing the importance of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) for their children’s futures. Parents need access to high-quality programs and resources to help encourage these conversations. They are often unfamiliar with activities and strategies that can stimulate this interest in their children.
Join us for these new summer programs where you can learn alongside your children and leave with a variety of practical activities and resources that can be done at home. Daily activities will be geared to the ages of the campers. You can register for one, two or all three days. Online resources will be available after the camp programs end.
All camp programs make use of laptops, digital cameras, science and engineering equipment and iPad technology. You will work as a family group to complete the activities.
Camps are offered at the university's north Oshawa location, 2000 Simcoe Street North, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Connecting with the Natural World
- Monday, August 21
- Learn new outdoor activities to engage your family in the natural world
- Play games that will spark an interest in science and the environment
- Explore the environment with iPad and other simple technologies
- Discover the fun of orienteering and geocaching
- Bring back the joy of 'messing around' outside
- Tuesday, August 22
- Explore robotics kits and resources
- Depending on the age of the camper, these will be available for exploration:
- LEGO WeDo
- LEGO EV3
- A variety of robotic devices
- Wednesday, August 23
- Find out what all the buzz is about Makerspace activities as you tinker, create, build and explore with a variety of materials
- Work with circuits, simple tools, 3D printers and more
- Take home a project your family designed, created and built from scratch
Basic Coding and Game Design
- Thursday, August 24
- Learn basic coding skills
- Design a simple computer video game as a family
- Find out where to go to extend the learning
- Friday, August 25
- Discover tricks to enhance Minecraft for families
Registration fee and information
Registration fee and information
The basic family registration is $60 per camp session for one adult and two children. Campers must be at least five years old.
- Only $10 for each additional child (up to two additional children per family).
- Only $10 for each additional adult/parent.
There is a discounted registration fee for UOIT or Durham College faculty and staff.
There are two ways to register
- Online (payment by credit card): Payment is made online. Visa or Mastercard only.
- By mail (payment by cheque): You must download and fill out the printable forms (see links in the "Register by mail" section below) and submit them together with your payment.
Full camps and waitlists
If a camp is marked as "FULL" on the Summer Camp Dates page, you can request to be added to a waitlist. If space becomes available for a requested camp, you will be notified and provided with instructions to register.
Please contact Sheila Rhodes at firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the waitlist.
Cancellations and refunds
Cancellations must be submitted in writing or by email to email@example.com and made at least seven calendar days prior to the start of the program to be entitled to a full refund, less a $10 fee. Refunds will not be provided for cancellations received after this date.
How to register
Register online (payment by credit card)
Fill out the form below and pay online with a credit card (Visa or Mastercard):
Register by mail (payment by cheque)
- Download, print and complete the Family Camp Registration Form
- Download, print and complete each of these additional forms:
- Submit the entire registration package, along with your cheque payment, to:
Faculty of Education
University of Ontario Institute of Technology
2000 Simcoe Street North
Energy Systems and Nuclear Science Research Centre, Room 1038
Oshawa, Ontario, L1H 7K4
Cheques can be made payable to "UOIT Summer Camps". Post-dated cheques will not be accepted. Please indicate "Family camp" and the camper’s name in the memo section of the cheque.
For more information, please contact:
Instructor, Faculty of Education
905.721.8668 ext. 2893